Labels

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Let's Analyze: Sherlock 2015 Christmas Special

I'm sure you've seen it by now.  Have you seen it?  You need to see it again.  Here, watch this:



I'm sure everyone and their brother has already analyzed this trailer, but I have very carefully stayed away, because I want to see how much I can catch before filling my head with everyone else's ideas.  Want to join me?  Here we go!

Let's Analyze the new-ish Sherlock Christmas Scene

I say new-ish because it came out only a month ago, and I'm only now getting around to analyzing it.  So, if I remember correctly, here's a list of my first impressions:
  • The frisbee death hat!
  • That moustache!
  • Archie!
  • Hatbox?
  • "I'm your landlady dear, not a plot device"
  • Moustache explained

Well, that was fun, wasn't it?  "Perfectly sound analysis, but I was hoping you'd go deeper."  Okay then, here we go.

I understand this episode will take place in 1895 (it's always 1895 here), exactly 120 years ago.  Sweet!  It's like an anniversary :)

Opening shot: Back to Baker Street!  It's like coming home.  So, you're telling me the street signs haven't changed in 120 years?  Because, it looks a lot like the sign did in A Study in Pink.  I think.  I might need to go back and re-watch that bit.  (Poor, poor me.)  And Mrs. Hudson doesn't seem to have changed much.  Maybe a bit more formal, since I'm guessing she actually is the housekeeper, not the landlady?  Time will tell.

Horse-drawn carriage!  Victorian clothing!  Whee!  Wait.  What is with that pipe?  Can I admit how conservative I am in that I don't like seeing this version of Sherlock smoke?  I know that ACD's Sherlock did morphine and cocaine, but that doesn't mean I have to like it when a modern-day version does similar.  Okay, off the soapbox, back to the scene.

Sherlock seems, softer, happier.  Not so rude and sharp.  And, he's wearing the hat!  Of course he's wearing the hat, it actually fits in with Victorian London. At least it's a nice solid gray, so it kind of matches his cloak.  Again I LOVE the Victorian outfits.  And who doesn't like to say cloak?  Say it with me.  "Cloak."  Ah, that's nice.

Oh hi Archie, it's good to see you again!  Yes, what is in the hatbox?  You know what I think?  I think it's a...OMG JOHN WHAT IS THAT ON YOUR FACE???

Oh dear, that moustache. Really John?  I thought you shaved it for Sherlock?  Why is it back now?  Why?  The horror!  Oh look, it's still Archie!  Ah yes, the hatbox.  Remember what Sherlock used to bribe Archie to get him to behave during the wedding?  Pictures of beheadings.  So, I'm thinking it's a head.  Obvious.

Still looking for the legs?  Definitely a head!  (But, if they don't have a fridge, where will they put it?  OH!  Is this the same head that John finds in The Blind Banker?  No?  Too bad.

Ah yes, publishing instead of blogging.  Must keep it period-appropriate.  And poor Hudders, doesn't even try to sugar coat her reaction to the story.  Of course, if faced with that moustache, I think that would have been my reaction anyway, no matter the question.

What is going on with Sherlock's suit?  What happened to the black jacket and trousers?  The purple shirt? (You know the one I mean.)  What is this...plaid?  Ugh!

And John continues on to insult Hudders.  Her function?  I'd be upset too!  What is this, did he and Sherlock switch neuroses in this episode?  John is a high-functioning sociopath who carries around heads in a hatbox, and Sherlock wears tweed suits and pretends to be a hedgehog when people aren't looking?  No, John still gets to be the hedgehog on account of that moustache.
Sherlock still has issues with John's titles.  "The Dog One" indeed!  Ah, here it comes: I'm your landlady, not a plot device.  OH!  So she IS the landlady!  Two things: could a woman own and rent out property in 1895 London?  And, I love her catch phrase.  Puts her on par with Bones: "I'm a doctor, Jim, not a bricklayer."

If John's illustrator is so out of control (he made the moors so drab and dingy), why doesn't he get a new one?  Being forced to grow that moustache just so people would recognize him?  I miss the John made of kittens and jam!  I'll bet he's still a crack shot, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment