Labels

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Impromptu Nightstand

Dear Nony,

My house is a mess. Clutter everywhere, too full of stuff to clean properly... I have been making great progress in keeping the kitchen tidy, thanks to my non-negotiables of doing the dishes and sweeping. I'm still not doing either task daily, but it's so much better than it was before! And then I got rid of a lot of furniture!

So much furniture, in fact, that I found myself with no place to keep my baby's clothing in our room. See, up until we removed the furniture, I kept his clean clothes, extra diapers, wipes, diaper pail refills, extra receiving blankets, bibs, and more in a two-drawer nightstand and a nursery organizer that sat on top of the nightstand. Sometimes it was organized, sometimes...not.

What it usually looks like, what I wanted it to look like

But now, with no nightstand, the organizer just isn't enough to cut it! What to do? Oh! I know! I have a ton of empty diaper boxes lying around, and two matching baskets that just happen to slide into said diaper boxes if I lay the boxes on their sides. So, handy box knife to the rescue: I sliced off the flappy tops from the diaper boxes, laid the boxes on their sides, one on top of the other, and slid the baskets into the boxes as if they were made for each other.

This just left the cloth organizer. It sits on top of the boxes quite nicely, but it's floppy. It falls over. The straps coming up from it that are supposedly taped to the wall keep falling down (it's pretty bad tape). So, I went back to those flappy tops I sliced off the boxes and cut a few of them down to size so that they can fit in the sides of the organizer and voila! A stand-up organizer on top of an impromptu nightstand.

From the front, it's hard to see exactly what I did, which is fine with me!
Will I buy new nightstands to match the boys' furniture? Oh sure. One of these days. When I find the right ones. But for now, I'm rather proud of my impromptu nightstand.

To anyone else reading, have you met Nony yet? You should definitely check her out at A Slob Comes Clean. Roam around, click a few links, and then go here if you want to read through her blog the way she recommends.

No comments:

Post a Comment