Labels

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Chicco NextFit: Adjusting the Headrest

I'm back, with more NextFit goodness.  This time, with a couple of videos of my own to share!

A question was asked on Car Seats for the Littles: "How do I adjust the headrest and get it set for an infant?  Specifically, how does that back panel keep from getting in the way?"  The resulting YouTube and Google search turned up...nothing.  Absolutely nothing!  So, I pulled my seat in from the car and took a couple of videos.  Please keep in mind, these are home-made, unscripted, unrehearsed and (in the first video) made all by myself.  I roped DH into being my cameraman for the 2nd video, hence the better video quality.  (Videos after the jump.)

Adjusting the Headrest and Back Panel for an Infant


Like it says on the tin.  I started with the headrest at the third setting from the bottom, since that's where I have it for my little guy, and then show how to move the headrest down and set the back panel for the infant.  BONUS: I also give a close-up of the new Comfort Kit I had received just a few days before.  It's very nice, and I highly recommend you get one.  (I apologize for the shaky cam.  This video was done very quickly and I was both the camerawoman and actress, so to speak.)


But Wait, There's More!


I started chatting with another NextFit mom, and we both expressed displeasure with how the back panel created a rather large gap if it was folded up and the headrest was set to the second setting up.  So, back to my seat I went and figure out what the deal was.  Shoutout to my husband, the cameraman for this video!


There you have it.  A pair of videos that will help you adjust the NextFit for a smaller child.  Let me know if you want some videos showing how the seat looks in the higher settings, but to be honest, you can find quite a few of those online already :)

But Should the Panel Be Folded or Flat?


(Update added 2/4/2016)
This is the question that is most-often asked once the videos have been watched: when the headrest is set to that 2nd position, should the bottom panel be folded or unfolded?  Which is better, to have a small gap with the panel folded, or to have slightly scrunched fabric with the panel unfolded?



I have confirmed with the Chicco tech that so long as the plastic piece behind the seat is not exposed, both configurations can be used!  If your baby seems uncomfortable with the gap present, unfold the panel and flatten it as best as you can.  If you're having a hard time getting baby settled into the seat with the extra panel under the bum, fold it up and under.

Requested and Completed


(Update added 2/19/2016)
Here's a quick video showing the technique I find easiest when adjusting the headrest position, as well as what the headrest looks like in each position.


Disclaimer


As always, please remember I am not a CPST, nor am I affiliated in any way with Chicco.  As mentioned in the Disclaimer, I am very active in the Facebook group Car Seats for the Littles (CSFTL, for short).  I also happen to own the Chicco NextFit car seat.  It's a very nice seat, and over the last few months since I've bought it I've learned quite a few tricks related to the proper usage of this seat.  This post is a continuing series to help other NextFit owners get the most use out of their seat. In other words...

The views, instructions, and opinions in this blog are solely my own. I am not a CPST, I am not affiliated with CSFTL, nor am I a Chicco representative. No money was made from this article, and all errors are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment